Shrimp Roast (Kerala style)




Hi my dear readers.... I'm back to this blogging world after a gap. Here it is summer and I'm excited to go out more frequently with my hubby Anish and Rydhi. He used to remind me often "Dear.... u are not blogging.... " . My reply, "Will do it tomorrow....." and many tomorrows passed.... my laziness pulled me down. 



Yesterday........ my dearest friend Sruthi motivated me to do the next post.... and Anish..... who got fed up asking to put a new blog post  "Dear ..... I'm sure that you are not going to post anything in your blog for next three months ....." (in a challenging mode :-)) . I should not give up right.... :-)? So I said "This tomorrow is not like other passed tomorrows ". 

About Shrimp roast.... This is a really hot shrimp dish but you can adjust the level of spiciness. Since this is Kerala style dish, for getting authentic taste, coconut oil and curry leaves are preferred. 

Servings - 4
Ingredients:
Cooked shrimp (3 cups)
Tempering :
3  to 5 tablespoons of oil (Coconut oil prefered)
1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
15 shallots / Pearl onion/ chuvanna ulli (thinly sliced)
1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
3 tomatoes (cut into small peices)
2 - 3 springs of curry leaves
2 teaspoons of Kashmiri red chilly powder (Can be adjusted as per your hotness requirement)
1 teaspoon of Coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1/4 cup of water
1/4 cup of thin coconut slices /thenga kothu
Salt (to taste)

Method:
Take a skillet and add 3 tablespoons oil on medium heat. Add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add sliced shallots and ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell disappears. Add curry leaves and reduce heat to low. 

Add red chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and stir for 3 minutes till its raw smell disappears. Add tomatoes and salt. Saute well.

Add cooked shrimp and increase heat to medium high and stir for 3 minutes. Add thin coconut slices/ thenga kothu. Reduce heat to low and cover it with a lid and let it sit at low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (to avoid sticking into the bottom of the pan). 

Add 2 table spoons of oil and roast over low heat till it becomes dry. Check for salt and add more if necessary. 

Note:
This is a hot and spicy dish which you can serve with rice or Nan or bread or with cocktail ;-) (if you wish)
Value addition can be done by adding cashew nuts while adding shrimp.



We had this for our lunch with rice and this is one of Anish's favorite dish. So I'm much delightful to make this dish again and again.... :-) 

Labels: , , , , , ,