Apple Pickle





Hi...how are you ....? I'm glad to tell you that I too have a facebook page on the name Remya's Baking and Cooking. From the core of my heart, I thank all of you.....my dearest readers.  This is my first entry to the pickle category . This was again a play with apples and you may know about the  soothing apple cake and the apple jam I made before...




For this pickle recipe, the courtesy goes to my mom. I just replaced her recipe to make fruit pickle with apple and the result was really amazing with a sweetness and hotness combo .....This tastes similar to ripened mango pickle.







Ingredients :
One tablespoon of oil 
Three apples  (I used Fuji apples)
4 teaspoons of Kashmiri red chili powder
One teaspoon of black mustard seeds
One teaspoon of urad dal
Five cloves of garlic (Sliced)
Half teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
Three pinches of asafoetida powder (Kayappodi)
Salt (to taste)




Method :
Core the apples and chop them into small pieces.

Heat oil in a pan and put mustard seeds, urad dal, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves and when it splutters, add sliced garlic.

Reduce the flame to low and add red chili powder (Do not allow the red chili powder to get burnt) and toast till its raw smell disappears .

Now add the chopped apple pieces and stir gently making sure that each of the chopped apple pieces have got a nice coating of the red chili powder. Check for salt, add more if required.

To this mixture add asafoetida,  cook for 5 minutes stirring well. 




Note:
If u do not want the raw smell of the chili powder to be removed, then add chili powder directly to the apple pieces and saute it in the pan. Since no preservatives are added, this must be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. This will be best if consumed within two to three weeks. 






If you are a pickle fan, I'm sure you are gonna love this. This goes well with rice, or any twisted version of rice like sadam (rice bath) and fried rice. 







Labels: , , , ,